Friday, October 17, 2008

Something for ME!

My next creation is not one for the kids, it's actually something for ME! I have several badges from work (old ones that are not "official" anymore since we changed the style of our badge) and awards I have earned over the years that just sit around. I wanted a way to display them and decided to build a shadow box to show them off. I am deciding on a custom design, but have decided to use some exotic woods that I bought a while back.




The dark wook on the right is Leopardwood. It comes from South America, Brazil, and Chile. Its distinctive feature is obviously the dark wood with the lighter golden brown spots all over it. The light colored wood on the left is Bird's Eye Maple. It comes from the Northeastern US and is unique because of the small swirls in the grain which create "eyes" all over it's face. Of course the trees are also used for their sap to make maple syrup.

I post pics when I am done.....if it turns out like I hope it will.

No comments: